Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Everything Treo Wiki



In celebration of yesterday's anniversary of Alexander Graham Bell's first discernible speech transmitted over a telephone system, I started my search on the Web for a wiki to help me with a problem I'm experiencing with my fairly new Palm Treo. One of the reasons I bought this device was to be able to be connected anytime, anyplace. I successfully receive instant messages when I receive e-mail on some of my accounts. I can check my e-mail on several accounts. I am notified when pages of my wikis are updated and can easily and quickly check the site for updates from vandals. I had great plans of being able to connect to the Web using my laptop through the connectivity available from my new Treo. The hope of pseudo DSL speed for my laptop through my cell phone! After all, when I'm stuck on the farm with no computer connectivity (e.g., no DSL, no cable modem, no landline for even a dial connection), I wanted to connect my computer using my Palm Treo. I certainly need a break from work while on vacation, but I did not want to go cold-turkey from blog posts and checking updates to my wikis. : ) Well, my attempts at connecting my laptop using only my cell phone did not work over my Christmas holiday test. I'm not sure where to start at solving the problem either. It's likely a new user error. Now that I'm making plans for a spring vacation, I wondered what wiki resources may be on the Web to help me solve the problem. I thought that it might be a great wiki-of-the-day too on today's historic anniversary of Bell's achievement.

I found the Everything Treo Wiki on Wetpaint. However, I do not immediately see any information on the wiki that can help me with this problem. I noticed that although several new community members have joined in 2008, there really have been no page updates in 2008. I don't see my model on the wiki yet. However, I noticed that the wiki is connected to a parent Everything Treo site. It appears to be more up-to-date. Perhaps it will have something to help me. I'm disappointed that the wiki is not up-to-date and does not have more information on it about the recent models. I am encouraged by its connection to an active website though. If you're a Palm Treo user, visit the wiki and lend a hand and help bring the site up-to-date. Add an article on how to connect your laptop to the Internet using the Palm Treo technology! Or, post a comment or send me a message if you can refer me to a site that has a solution. : )

Well, even though this site was not as informative as I hoped, I'm still logging it as my wiki-of-the-day. Perhaps there's something we can learn from this experience: the need for currency and an active community. Plus, this is example of one wiki that is integrated into the structure of another website.

No comments: